Thursday, 13 August 2009

Two young girls have been found dead under suspicious circumstances at two different locations of the country with their vital parts missing.

The two girls, Akua Nyamekye, 18, and Lawoe Pillarboney, 15, were killed at Baakokrom, near Sefwi Bekwai in the Western Region and Aflao in the Volta Region respectively.

Akua Nyamekye, a Senior High School drop-out, was gruesomely murdered on a farmland at Baakokrom near Sefwi Bekwai for what some shock-stricken residents considered sakawa rituals.

Sadly, Akua Nyamekye’s four-month-old baby who was on the farm with her when she was murdered, also died of pneumonia after being beaten by the rain.

The gory murder of the teenager has sent shockwaves down the spines of residents and given them cause to worry.

A close examination of the lifeless body of Nyamekye showed that her private parts, heart, tongue and substantial amount of veins and arteries in her left lower arm were removed.  

The Sefwi Bekwai Police, have since the murder on July 27, 2009, launched a full-scale investigation into the incident, leading to the arrest of the victim’s landlord who is currently on bail.

Confirming the incident to DAILY GUIDE, the Bibiani District Police Commander, DSP Anane Appiah, said no clue for the killing has yet been found.

He however ruled out allegations that parts of the victim were removed for sakawa rituals when he and his men arrived at the crime scene at about 8.00pm.

He said Nyamekye’s killers inflicted deep cutlass wounds on her neck, hands and head but the police are yet to unravel the mystery surrounding the murder which has threatened security situation in the area.
On July 27, 2009, the victim reportedly went to the farm for some food items after taking her baby to a clinic for medical attention.


According to her relatives, Nyamekye, a native of Sampa in the Brong Ahafo Region, got impregnated whilst in SHS and therefore dropped out of school.

She was therefore sent to live with her boyfriend’s parents at Sefwi Bekwai where she delivered safely.

On July 27 this year, the teenage nursing mother left for the farm with her baby to fetch some food and at about 4.00pm when her relations observed she was not returning, they decided to trace her to find out what was amiss.

Upon reaching the farm, they found Nyamekye’s four-month-old lying very weak in a basin, as she had been left crying and beaten by the rain.

Just a few meters away, members of the search party were met with a horrifying spectacle as there laid the lifeless body of Nyamekye in a pool of blood.  

Residents then reported the incident to the Sefwi Bekwai police for investigation. The baby also died later.

 Meanwhile, the bodies of mother and child have been deposited at the Bibiani Government Hospital morgue.

From James Quansah, Kumasi